Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Doing Our Part for Society - A sharing I wrote in 2009


This is a write up which I did in 2009, when Jun Cheng the very first president of NTU-SIFE asked me to share something which i strongly believe in just when I joined the club. 

This is a really interesting find as I was organizing the files and folders in my computer. 
Being of great personal reflective value for comparing my thoughts and believes then and now.

I hope that it will inspire you towards doing your part in society.

*Some editing have been done since then.

_______________________________________________________________________________
It is impossible to live without failing in something. Unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not lived at all. In which case, you fail by default. – J.K Rowling

These were the words which I believe most of us should be able to draw relations with.  It is this attitude that I believe motivate ourselves towards pursuing our personal goals and dreams.

However, what are these goals and dreams, which we the fortunate academics have devoted our lives and resources for? Are they goals or dreams which gratify ourselves, or do they serve a higher purpose?

In the modern society where success is often perceived as equivalent to monetary accruement, the perception and believe in non-self gratifying activities are often regarded as unconstructive and absolute foolishness.

However, I believe that each of us is blessed with the ability, time and resources to do much more than acts of self-gratification. We have been given the gift to love. Love not as a mere emotional affection or for the purpose of self-profit, but the capability to show and render sincere compassion and assistance to those less fortunate without the desire for personal return. Therefore, all of us whom have been revealed of the truth regarding the state of poverty and violence that still exist within this seemingly perfect world, ought to do their part in correcting these imperfections.

NKJV 1 Corinthians 13:1-4
“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a changing cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. Although I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. LOVE suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; “

Lastly, as what has been mentioned by J.K Rowling, having the opportunity to study in a rather popular university, would prove the fact that we have never experienced true failures. Failures that could cost a life, failures that could cause sufferings to many of your love ones. All of us, who are or have been pursuing a course of higher learning, are truly blessed with the financial means and opportunity to do so.

Yes, this opportunity was given to us because of our personal hard work. However, it should be known that it is a fact that there are millions of people in the world who are not given the opportunity to receive education from young. Even in Singapore, for those who have done poorly in academics, it is not simply because they were born lazy or less intellectual, but often because of the circumstances in life that led them astray and pressured them into making immature decisions in life that destroyed their future. Worsen by an education system that condemns these individuals from an early stage of their lives. Thus, we ought to use what we have been blessed for the benefit of those whom have been denied of these blessings.


As mentioned in the book,Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism” by Mohammad Yunus, all the talents of the world have the ability to contribute towards eliminating poverty. The creative solutions and operation efficiencies of the corporate world has the ability to bring great benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment